So Mitchell finally went on his first fieldtrip with preschool and they went to the firehall. Parents and siblings were welcome so off we all went. The kids all looked so cute, most were wearing their little firemen hats.
First "Firefighter Adam" talked to them about hot and cold things and Sparky the firedog. Reviewed the stop, drop and roll drill and then they got to go where the trucks were parked and sit in the trucks. Mitchell's favorite part was when he could hear Kennedy talking to him with her microphone while he was wearing the "earmuffs".
While the kids were checking out the firetrucks and seeing all the firefighter gear, we the parents got a little lesson of our own. We were asked how many of us had a "plan" in case of a fire or had ever practiced a fire drill at home. No-one out of twenty families. Hmmm. Makes you think, actually what really made us think was the little movie clips the firechief showed us. It was showing an experiment to show how unprepared families were in case a fire ever really happened. Another clip was so disturbing it brought tears to my eyes. In fact I think it may have even brought tears to Mike's eyes, though he may deny it.
So in this blog today I write a reminder to all of you who may read this as you are all close to our hearts. Whether you live with little people, older family members, pets or just by yourselves, think about what you would do if something awful like a fire would ever happen in your home. Smoke detectors should be replaced every ten years, Mike went out and bought a new one the same day. Tell your kids what to do if they hear the smoke detector go off, one of the movie clips showed the kids pulling the blankets over their heads because the noise was too loud!! Tell them to stay down low and check their door before they open it. If it is night time tell them to turn on their bedroom light. Have a meeting place outside where everyone would meet. Alot of this stuff we as adults have heard at one time or another in our lives but how often do we really stop to think about it? I know we hadn't. So WE'VE talked about it, obviously our kids can't do too much on their own but at least Mike and I now have a "bit" of a plan. It was a real wake-up call for us and I hope this will make you all at least pause for a second and think about it too. Don't mean to lecture but don't we all want to keep our loved ones safe? I know I look at these two strong, healthy boys every day and don't want to ever imagine anything bad ever happening to either of them.
3 comments:
A good reminder, thanks Nathalie. We've been meaning to replace the fire alarm in the ktichen. It goes off when we turn on the lights!!!!
We did get a separate fire/smoke alarm AND carbon monoxide detector for Maddy's room. Overkill? Maybe, but I sleep better!
This is a fun field trip for kids and adults.(FIREMEN!) I've done it a few times. You could not have said it better.I actually just checked my smoke detector a couple days ago when I heard about a family on the news dying in a fire. We must all keep each other safe .Love you all The McDonalds
Already he is a goodlooking firemen!! Wait till he is in the calender.
Great advice for everybody Lie
Love you all....Mom
Post a Comment