Thursday, June 19, 2008

Gabriola Island May 2008

So we had been planning a trip over to the island before I HAD to go back to work. We waited for nice weather, planned around girls' night, preschool fieldtrips and as luck would have it it was probably the nicest week in a long time. The weather was pretty decent even I actually got a bit of color. I said to Mom it is nice to be away from the house because then I feel like I have more time to just enjoy the boys. At home there is always a load of laundry calling or dishes with my name all over them.

This time we finally went inside the gate to see the Llamas and the El Pacas. Not to be confused with each other. El Pacas are MUCH cuter, like little bears.

"Miss Taylor", we are trying to teach Mitchell the respect thing with certain adults; you can't just call everyone by their first names, gave us the royal tour. What a great setup she has there. First Mitchell got to feed the chickens. He was a little leary at first but once he was a little more comfortable he was chucking food left, right and center. All these feathered creatures milling around my feet was WAY out of my comfort zone but I tried to stay composed and not let him see my ridiculous fear of birds. After that he got to feed the El Pacas and the goats too.


We spent the rest of our days just hanging out at the house. We did manage to get the lawnmower started and the grass cut just before Dad got there. After we had been there for almost a week. Happy hour of course every day, you need it with the kids around. But once they were in bed Mom and I relaxed and kicked back, had a couple of campfires and cocktails. Not too many because Nathan, actually both of them, were awake ridiculously early every day. So I was definetly not feeling rested in the sleep sense of the word but relaxed none the less.




Mitchell loved going down to the beach. When the tide is out he can run forever. He was always pleased when the sealions were laying on the rocks sunning themselves. And had a field day playing in the wet sand with his pail and shovel. I taught him about sea urchins, but not what Mommy and Uncle Niels used to do to them when we were little. One afternoon there was an eagle and a raven fighting and circling each other right above our heads. That was very cool. We revisited the rope swing Daddy pushed him last year.


Opa came over on the weekend and entertained the boys some more. Mitchell was Opa's shadow. Too cute when Opa takes his shirt off, Mtichell takes his shirt off. Opa is watering plants, Mitchell watering plants. You can see the pattern. Lots of fun.


All in all it was a wonderful week. Except poor Nathan had a cold he couldn't shake. Gabriola is a great place for kids and adults alike. I can see why mom and dad love it so much there. I hope to spend many more summers with our family. Thanks for the great time Mom. Love you lots.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really love the picture of the boys, brotherly love.
It's amazing and always entertaining discovering things like sea urchins through their eyes.
Great job on the blog. I really enjoy checking it out when it's updated.

The Blommesteins said...

Sounds like an amazing time. Look how grown Mitchell is!!!